Local Attractions - The North Carolina Arboretum
The North Carolina Arboretum
April 1 to October 31: 8 AM to 9 PM with entrance gates closing at 8 PM
Baker Exhibit Center, Education Center and Bonsai Exhibition Garden
9 AM to 5 PM
The Connections Gallery; Baker Exhibit Center, Garden Level
11 AM to 4 PM
Savory Thyme Cafe
Tuesday through Saturday: 11AM to 4PM, Sunday, 12 Noon to 4PM
The 434-acre Arboretum includes 65 acres of cultivated gardens and 10 miles of hiking and biking trails through the natural beauty of Western North Carolina.
- Displays and exhibits are both indoors and outdoors.
- Unique bonsai collections in the United States at the Bonsai Exhibition Garden
- Discovery Day Pack Activities and Special Events
- Gift shop with unique garden related items and regional crafts
- Education programs for all ages
There is a lot planned for May at the North Carolina Arboretum!
Saturday May 10
Dahlia Tuber Sale and Mum Cutting Sale
Carolinas Dahlia Society and North Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
Dahlia and Mum Society experts will be on hand to educate you and give you the secrets of how to produce plants with show quality blooms.
Purchase $20 of chrysanthemum rooted cuttings and receive 2 free mum cuttings.
Purchase $20 of dahlia tubers and receive one free dahlia tuber.
Saturday and Sunday, May 24 & 25
Asheville-Blue Ridge Rose Society Exhibition
Award-winning roses of every color and size, lectures, rose exhibits and sales.
Rose Society experts will be on hand to educate you and give you the secrets of how to successfully grow beautiful roses. Learn how to select the right rose for your conditions, how to care for your roses and the history of roses. Exhibition and speakers program are free.
National Native Azalea Collection
Explore the National Native Azalea Collection along Bent Creek.
The National Native Azalea Collection is a wood-land garden with azaleas representing every species native to the US, along with many natural hybrids and selections. They will be spectacular late spring and early summer.
The North Carolina Arboretum does not charge admission per person, only a parking fee. Parking is $12 per personal vehicle, $50 per commercial vehicle and $100 for buses. Cash and check are accepted at the Gatehouse; Visa and MasterCard are accepted at the Gatehouse but limited to parking fee only. Parking is always free for members.
Directions from 1898 Waverly Inn
1898 Waverly Inn is about 23 minutes from The North Carolina Arboretum.
The Shortest Route
- Take I-26 West, toward Asheville to exit 37.
- Turn left on NC-146.
- You will see the signs for the Arboretum on the right.
(The mall you just passed has the Dillard's Outlet.)
The Scenic Route
- From the Inn, turn left down Main Street.
- In about half a mile, take the left fork at the light down NC-191/Haywood Rd.
You will see a Nursery & Garden stand on the right and the Rite-Aid on the left right before the intersection.
- In 7.2 miles, at the light, take the right fork to stay on NC-191/Haywood Rd.
- In a little over a mile, at the light, turn left to stay on NC-191/Haywood Rd.
- You will see the signs for the Arboretum on the left.
1898 Waverly Inn has Specials & Packages for every season.